Can I Keep a Pet?

There are cases in which rental apartment complexes do not allow pets. Be sure to check the rules with the management or landlord before keeping a pet in your apartment. Before bringing a pet into Japan, confirm the procedure with the Fukuoka Airport Moji sub-branch, Animal Quarantine Service (Tel: 092-477-0080;; English, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Thai, Burmese). Since most countries have special regulations or acts regarding the importation of animals from overseas, inquire at the embassy about the necessary procedures should you decide to take your pet to your home country.

Attention to Pet Owners

Dogs 91 days of age and older are obliged to be registered for life and given an annual rabies vaccine.

You can register your dog at the Eastern Animal Control Center, the Household Pet Education Center, the Health and Welfare Center at each ward office (except Nishi Ward), or at animal hospitals affiliated with the Fukuoka Veterinarians Association. Vaccinations are available during April and May at temporary vaccination sites. You can also have your dog receive preventative vaccinations at any time of the year at the Eastern Animal Control Center, the Household Pet Education Center, animal hospitals, or at temporary vaccination sites.

The cost of registering a dog is 3,000 yen. Vaccinations at temporary vaccination sites, the Eastern Animal Control Center and at the Household Pet Education Center cost 3,050 yen.

You must place the dog license, received at the time of registration, and a tag that specifies the completion of the preventative rabies vaccination, received after completing the vaccination, on your dog’s collar. When taking them out for a walk, it is the responsibility of dog owners to clean up after their dogs. Letting a dog run loose is prohibited by regulation. Please try to keep your cat indoors and ensure that it has a tag to identify its owners. Please have your pet spayed or neutered to prevent the birth of puppies or kittens for which you may be unable to care.

Pet-related Troubles

If your dog bites someone, you must report the incident to the Eastern Animal Control Center immediately.

Odors from animal waste or animal noises may lead to difficulties between neighbors. Be sure to look after and train your pets properly.

If you can no longer care for your dogs or cats, please consult the matter with the Eastern Animal Control Center.

The Animal Control Center can also help you find a new owner by posting pictures and information about your pet on its website, “Wannyan Net” (

If Your Dog or Cat is Missing

Contact the Animal Control Center and your nearest Police Station. Information on dogs and cats being kept at the Center is also available on its website, “Wannyan Net” at


Animal Control Centers in Fukuoka City


*Eastern Animal Control Center (Tobu Dobutsu Kanri Senta)

5-10-1 Kamata, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka City (north of Fukuoka City Clean Park East)

Tel: 092-691-0131 (8:00-17:00, Mon. to Fri.)


*Household Pet Education Center (Fukuoka Animal Consultation Room)

1-4-22 Uchihama, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka City (southwest, behind Nishi Ward Office)

Tel: 092-891-1231 (8:30-17:00, Mon. to Fri.)

Collection of Deceased Pets

Contact Inoguchi Shokai


Collection fee: 1,000 yen (deceased ownerless animals will be collected for free)


*if you wish to bury or cremate your deceased pet, contact private pet cemeteries or memorial service providers.

Veterinary Clinics with English Services

Kato Juika Iin


1-45-21, Tatara, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka

Fukuoka Dobutsu Iryo Center


2-9-22, Takeshita, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka

Akimoto Dobutsu Byoin


2-2-15, Kego, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka

Ai Animal Hospital


1-9-26, Nagazumi, Minami-ku, Fukuoka

Saki Animal Hospital


Matsuzaki Bld. 1F, 1-11-25, Noma, Minami-ku, Fukuoka

Maki Dobutsu Byoin


2-20-7, Matsuyama,Jonan-ku, Fukuoka

Iwamoto Dobutsu Byoin


7-35-11, Higashi Irube, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka

Fukushige Dobutsu Byoin


3-33-4, Fukushige, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka

Uga Pet Clinic


8-1-102, Tokunaga-kita, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka


* In some cases, English-speaking staff may not be available, so please inquire before proceeding to the veterinary clinic.
More details on:

Major Emergency Veterinary Clinics

Fukuoka Dobutsu Iryo Center, Kasuga

Tel: 092-501-3929 (1-92 Harumachi, Kasuga City)

Open 10:00-19:00; closed during lunch (13:00-14:30); closed on Thursdays

Out-of-Hours Emergency Medical Treatment: 19:30-21:30

*English-speaking veterinarian is available, but it is preferable to bring an interpreter for complicated issues.

Fukuoka Night Emergency Animal Hospital

Tel: 092-504-8999 (5-2-40, Tsukiguma, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka)

21:00-5:00 (appointment necessary)


*Since public insurance does not cover your pet’s medical examination, the cost can become high at times. As such, an increasing number of pet owners are now enrolling in pet insurance provided by private insurance companies.