Garbage Pickup

Fukuoka City collects household garbage separately, and as such, citizens are required to dispose of them according to set rules. Garbage must be disposed of in designated bags available at supermarkets, convenience stores, etc., separated into three categories of burnable garbage, non-burnable garbage, or glass containers and PET bottles, and put out on the scheduled days from sunset until midnight. For anything that does not fit into the bags, you must dispose of them as oversized waste (sodai gomi) by applying with the Oversized Garbage Disposal Call Center (Sodai gomi uketsuke center). For details on how to separate the refuse properly, refer to the “Household Garbage Regulations” booklet  ( published by the Fukuoka City Environmental Bureau, available in Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean. Collection days for each type of waste varies by area, so please check the collection schedule with your neighbor, the Seikatsu Kankyo section of respective ward office, or theHousehold Waste Reduction Section (Tel: 092-711-4039). The schedule is also available at the Fukuoka City

website: only).


Under the “Home Appliance Recycling Law” and “Act on the Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resources”, air conditioners, televisions, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, clothes driers, and computers/monitors are not picked up as refuse by the Fukuoka City facilities. When disposing any of these items, please refer to the following:


Six items of Home Appliances

Please make a pickup arrangement to one of the following services when disposing air conditioners, televisions, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines or clothes driers (pickup fee required).


[1]In the case of replacing your item with a new one, the retailer from whom you make a purchase.

[2]Retailer from whom you originally bought the item you wish to dispose of.

[3]If neither (1) nor (2) are applicable (e.g., you do not know where the item was originally purchased), dispose of the item using one of the following three methods:

(1)Find out nearest Best Denki or Yamada Denki shop

(2)Pay the recycle fee at Best Denki or Yamada Denki shop and decide on a collection date

(3)Pay the collection fee at your home at the time of collection

Personal Computers

When disposing of desktop computers, monitors, laptops or single-unit computers, contact the computer manufacturer or RENET Japan for collection. To find the collection information, visit the website of the manufacturer or the PC3R Promotion Association at


Renet Japan

Incinerating trash on your own is against the law.

Do not incinerate trash on private property since it is prohibited by the Waste Disposal and Public Cleaning Law (Haikibutsu no Shori oyobi Seiso ni Kansuru Horitsu).